Friday, January 12, 2007

Two for one: Mother and Daughter

The trail turns and follows a few twists to end up finding Susie Writes and then her daughter writing at Sweet Tea on Avenue C.

Miss Parker's profile reveals:
I am a newly transplanted Southerner living in the East Village with my wonderful boyfriend, John. I work at the Humane Society of New York. I wish I knew how to play the drums. I think good manners are incredibly underrated; I long for the days when people addressed one another as "Mister" and "Miss." My talents are spread out among writing, knitting and photography; consequently I'm mediocre at all three. My real passion is history. If you need a quick historical fact, I'm you're girl. I love it when lists of things are alphabetized; I love making lists in general. [I'm a virgo, in case you haven't guessed that by now.] Oh, and did I mention I really really really miss sweet tea? No? Well, I do.
Miss Parker writes:

In six days I have to get on a plane. I haven't been on a plane since 2003 when I flew home from Ireland. [A terrible trip home, which I will one day have to recount for all you Voxies. I should have never left Ireland early.]

This shouldn't be a big deal anymore. I have traversed the Atlantic several times, and flown domestically all over the country. I've been flying since I was two. Nothing has ever happened. But it is a big deal. And, logically, I cannot explain why. It just is. And that should be enough.

I don't know where/when things went wrong. I wasn't afraid of flying as a child. And then suddenly I was, and I don't know how it happened. Maybe I just reached a certain age in my early teens and suddenly it clicked that being shot through the sky in a tube wasn't the best idea I'd ever heard of. The source of this fear is irrelevent. The fact is that it's there and it's unshakeable, and I have had a stomachache since my plane ticket home was purchased in November.

Read the full posting titled: All I Want for Christmas is to Not Die in a Fiery Plane Crash

Back to her mother, Susie Parker who recaps an eventful 2006 and says in part:
You know...point A leads to point B and if you make it to point B it will undoubtedly lead you to point C and, before you know it, you realize, a lot of it is rote and pointLESS.... At least, that's how it used to look from where I formerly sat. And then, well, I changed seats. I upgraded.
Read the full posting to find out about the upgrade.

Susie also writes:
The article came out and, I have to say with no small measure of relief, Ms. Amy Hotz got it right. She most certainly respected the guidelines I requested and, in the process, earned a huge measure of respect (and relief!) from me.
Read all about the article and what earned Ms Holtz Susie's respect.

Then consider adding both the Mother and Daughter blogs to your RSS Reader.

No comments: