Thursday, June 28, 2007

Molasses Poetry

Yes, continuing the Technorati "Billy Collins" trail we come upon Wendy who writes:

Welcome to Molasses Poetry.

I’m Wendy, and my love of words and poetry began in rural northern New Jersey where I grew up. On the grassy bank of a pond, a granite outcropping on a hillside, or in the shade of the black walnut tree in our front yard, I’d dig a stubby pencil and small, bent spiral notebook out of my pocket and jot down short poems about nature. Thankfully, school nurtured my appreciation for poetry rather than stifling it. A few years after my family relocated to Virginia, one particular English and creative writing teacher intensified my poetry enthusiasm through her inventive and inviting lessons. She also piqued my interest in teaching.

Inspired by my teacher-mentor, I taught English and creative writing for four years before becoming a librarian, a profession that allows me to combine my love of teaching and literature with my fascination for science, technology, and a multitude of other subjects. I journal and read poetry regularly, write poetry occasionally, and revel in opportunities to immerse myself in poetry during celebrations like the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival.

I believe that poetry is not just something you read or write, but something you live - by paying attention - to your environment, your fellow human beings, and yourself.

Live poetically!

Wendy's vision:

Too often I find myself caught up in the rush and rumble of pursuing what’s next and forget to stop, breathe, and be present in my life. Molasses Poetry is my way of encouraging readers to join me in slowing down to savor poetry and reflect on words, ideas, and images that may inspire poetry or journaling. I hope it may also spark lesson ideas for teachers of poetry, literature, or creative writing.

Web sites on the link menu connect readers with poems in many forms, formats, and voices, and are featured because they provide quality, organized content from a variety of poets, are from identifiable, authoritative sources, and either have permission to share the poets’ work or have compiled works in the public domain. You can find additional poetry resources by scrolling through my poetry links on del.icio.us.

When poem links, excerpts, or quotes in posts are accompanied by my musings, these are offered as a starting point for discussion rather than “the” interpretation.

Thank you for taking a moment to slow down with me. Please join the discussion by posting comments, or subscribe to Molasses Poetry by clicking on “entries” at the bottom of the main page and adding Molasses Poetry to your favorite feed reader.

I'll come back often, there are good links in her side bars.

No comments: