- A woman in space is not an everyday occurrence.
- The woman is American but was born in Iran.
- She left Iran at 14 knowing only a few English words from the song "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music.
- She got her degree in electrical engineering.
- She founded a start up that made her a millionaire.
- She helped to fund the X Prize.
- She has a blog.
"Through my space flight I like to increase the awareness about space exploration. During my Soyuz flight to the International Space Station, I will try to capture and communicate every aspect of my flight experience to the public. One of the key tools I will use to share what I see and feel with the world will be through a daily Space Blog. I am very pleased that the X PRIZE Foundation will be hosting this blog at www.xprize.org. My hope is that everyone from around the world who has ever wondered how it feels to fly to space would visit the X PRIZE site to learn what its like to fly into orbit."