Friday, December 28, 2007

Five for Friday

From the "Billy Collins" trail today we find these Five for Friday:

1 - Today I am happy (interpret that ecstatic if you want) to bring you my interview with Linda Urban. She is the author of A Crooked Kind Of Perfect, a novel that was so so so good, that I had to read it TWICE within the same week. You can read my review of A Crooked Kind of Perfect here. It has been nominated for a Cybils. And it appeared on the Amazon's Best of 2007 list. Be sure to visit her official site and her livejournal site.

Read the interview and then cruise around the rest of Becky's site

2 -
I think it is time for me to accept the fact that 2007 will become the last year I read without reading glasses. My vision has always been 20/20 and is still good. However, during my last few annual eye exams, I seemed to "qualify for" reading glasses. I think I got my first pair 4-5 years ago. I'd wear them once in a while, mostly for fun. This last year, I noticed that I needed glasses to read small print directions, etc. Lately, I have noticed that reading in bed lasts about 10 minutes before I fall asleep.

Read the remainder of this post then cruise around A Year of Reading.

3 -Last night was our staff party. We normally have some sort of gift exchange with a theme to make it funny or thoughtful or whatever, like last year it was bring something to show what kind of super power you would like to have. The year before the theme was bring something that tells us something we don't know about you. These were fun and provided lots of laughs. However this year we were all talking about how we just wanted something easy. I suggested a book exchange. We did it and it was great. I am a friggin genius.

Everyone had to bring one of their favorite books. We did one of the ridiculous games to figure out who drew when. When you unwrapped the book you had to guess who brought it. When the person was guessed correctly they had to say why it was one of their favorite books.

Read the remainder of the book exchange and then more at Vindauga.

4 - I don't give out a wish list to friends or loved ones for myself. I share lists of needs my kids have, and one or two "wishes" b/c we just don't really do the Commercialized Christmas thing. My extended family is too huge, now...we all just get together for a family reunion, and that is a blessing in and of itself. The family has grown so that my Mom and Dad have 21 grandkids and 15 great grandkids, now.

Read the remainder of the 'wish list' and then more at Take Time to Smell the Coffee.

5 - Since I wrote why I don’t put a price tag on my poems and that I believe if people want to have a job full of monetary reward, the role of “poet” may not be the best job for you, I want to write the other side of this—that while I believe that if you are writing poetry *solely* to make money, you may have boarded the wrong train—I honestly do believe poets and all artists should be paid better AND well for their work.

What? You ask, You just wrote a whole post how you give away poems and you aren’t in this to make money. Yes. That is true. But do I believe a poem is worth as much as “The Break-Up” starring Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Yes, I do. In fact, I think poets *should* be paid as much those two, and especially as much as Cameron Diaz—actually *I* should be paid for having to sit through a Cameron Diaz movie, but that’s another issue.

Read the rest of this posting and then more at First Draft: Leonardo likes Gulls

No comments: