Friday, March 02, 2007

Follow the money

The trail decided to take the advice of Deep Throat:


Bob Woodward: The story is dry. All we've got are pieces. We can't seem to figure out what the puzzle is supposed to look like. John Mitchell resigns as the head of CREEP, and says that he wants to spend more time with his family. I mean, it sounds like bullshit, we don't exactly believe that...
Deep Throat: No, heh, but it's touching. Forget the myths the media's created about the White House. The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.
Bob Woodward: Hunt's come in from the cold. Supposedly he's got a lawyer with $25,000 in a brown paper bag.
Deep Throat: Follow the money.
Bob Woodward: What do you mean? Where?
Deep Throat: Oh, I can't tell you that.
Bob Woodward: But you could tell me that.
Deep Throat: No, I have to do this my way. You tell me what you know, and I'll confirm. I'll keep you in the right direction if I can, but that's all. Just... follow the money.
Quote source

Others have taken that advice and created a searchable database to track how the money is spent in state politics.

What about Merck's contributions that would lead to the state passes the vaccine for young girls (which Merck happens to sell)? Check out the report on what states (PDF) benefited from $2.4 million in contributions.

Do you have an interesting campaign in your state? Go searching and see what you find!

No comments: