Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Loneliness of the long-distance linguist - Kieran Snyder

Once upon a time (actually more like October 3, 2005), the Hitchhiker Team found Kieran's blog Adventures in the Slow Twitch. She has expanded to write a second blog, more work related reflecting her passion in linguistics and work in technology, Loneliness of the Long-Distance Linguist, "webulated chit-chat".
 
She writes:
... in the end I was struck by the same thing I'm always struck by whenever people ask questions like that: how inefficient it is that application developers who may or may not know anything about word breaking or writing systems or computational linguistics are stuck trying to intuit the answers to questions like this one.
Read the full posting here.
 
She writes:
I'm wondering what really makes your computer feel like it's yours. Is it the picture on your desktop? Is it the post-it notes framing your monitor? Is it the way your hardware is organized, with an optical mouse on the right and an ergonomic keyboard in front of you? For me, for instance, it's a lot about how my files are organized. Hardware is mostly irrelevant, but if I can't find stuff, then I get lost, and if I get lost, I quickly feel like I'm using someone else's machine. But I'm willing to bet that the really key stuff, the stuff without which a computer just doesn't feel like it's yours, varies a lot by person.
Read the full posting here.
 
And then add Kieran's blog to your RSS Reader of choice. "Webulated?" Is that a word? It is creative!
 
 
Powered By Qumana

No comments: